Review: The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass

Goodreads blurb:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


The Selection was a really different book from what I usually read, I was in a reading slump so I really wanted to read something different, I've read fairy tales but never dystopias in this case is the two together and I really liked it.

I stayed up all night not wanting to go to sleep before I finished the book. I am always curious about how the world will end up being and I really enjoyed reading about the caste system, the story of the country and I loved the characters.

In case you want to know more about the castes you can click here.

America is a Five, she is a musician as well as her mom, her father and her sister May are artists and she also has a seven year old brother named Gerald that hasn't found his talent yet.

Her mother wants her to fill out the form to enter The Selection but she doesn't want too. She is in love with Aspen and she wants to marry him not go compete for Prince Maxon, but Aspen is a Six and is very rare and difficult to a woman to marry down. When a person wants to marry someone from a different caste they have to fill out paperwork and wait ninety days before they could do any of the other legal things, and it costs money that they don't have.

America doesn't want to fill the form but Aspen tells her to do it because if she has a chance to have a better life, he doesn't want her to miss that because of him. America is sure she will not be chosen to be one of the thirty-five girls and Aspen just wants her to enter and if she isn't chosen at least he will not feel bad for holding her back.

Life as a Five is very difficult, being a Six like Aspen is even more, many times he doesn't have anything to eat because he doesn't have enough money so America keeps food to give to him when he visits her but Aspen is a really proud guy and thinks that he should be the one giving her things not the other way around.

America ends up being chosen to be in The Selection, but she is not really there to compete for the Prince, she is there because of the money that her family is receiving while she is in the competition.

Prince Maxon is not so bad as America thinks and soon she starts to see it and starts to enjoy spending time with him. Maxon is really sweet, polite and kind, the complete opposite to what America thought he was and she starts to get confused because she still loves Aspen but she can't deny that she is feeling something towards Maxon.

There is a thing that I really don't like and that is love triangles, I get so confused sometimes I think I am even more confused than the character that should be confused.

America didn't know what to do, didn't know with whom she wanted to be with and to make it even harder Aspen comes back.

I was not disappointed with the end, it was very simple, nothing dramatic, it makes you want to read the next book to see what America will do. I'm not sure when I will be reading The Elite because book number three is only coming out on May 6th, 2014 and I don't know if I can wait that long after I finish the second book, but I will definitely read both of them.



Buy the book: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Find Kiera: Goodreads | Website | Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment